Universal Credit Neath Port Talbot

If you are a Tai Gwalia tenant and you live in Neath Port Talbot you will need to read this.

In April 2015 Universal Credit was introduced in the Neath Port Talbot area.

This affected single people making a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance only.

From 4 October 2017 Universal Credit Full Service will be introduced in areas that are covered by Neath Port Talbot Council. This will affect couples and families as well as single people, of working age, making a new claim for any of the following six benefits or where they are receiving any of these benefits and there is a significant change in circumstances:

  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

For more information on Universal Credit please see this document

In a “Full Service” area you will be expected to create an online Universal Credit account. This account can be used to report changes, exchange messages with your work coach and to find support.

For a video about the Universal Credit online account please visit YouTube:

Universal Credit full service overview - June 2017

You will be advised how and when to do this by your Jobcentre when applying for benefits. If you currently receive Universal Credit you will receive a letter from the Jobcentre stating you must open an online account by a given date. Please act upon this immediately.

Where Can I Get Help?

Digital Skills:

Local libraries provide free drop in IT help sessions. They can help with:

  • Universal Credit applications, Job Seeking, CVs, or anything IT related.
  • One to one assistance to get online.
  • Bring your own device or use a laptop provided.

Find our more information on the attached document: Free Drop In IT Help Sessions at your local library.

The Melin Community Centre (MCC) also provides digital drop in sessions every week across the county and they are able to provide UC online account assistance. Find out more about their weekly sessions here

Gwalia can also provide support – please telephone 0800 012 1080 and speak to Claire Bates in the Customer & Community Team for more information.

Money advice & employment support:

Gwalia offers a money support service and an employment support service (providing training, work placements, volunteer opportunities and start up loans). If you want more information please telephone 0800 012 1080 and ask to speak with your Income Management Officer.

Some Important Points to Remember

  • When applying for Universal Credit you will be asked how much rent you pay.
    If you are a Tai Gwalia tenant YOU DO PAY RENT. Please include the weekly rent as requested EVEN IF YOUR RENT WAS PREVIOUSLY PAID BY HOUSING BENEFIT.
    If you state you do not pay rent you will not receive any help from Universal Credit towards your rent, you will accumulate rent arrears, and your tenancy will be at risk.
  • When applying for Universal Credit you will be asked to confirm your landlord details.
    They are:
    Tai Gwalia, Ty Gwalia, 7-13 The Kingsway, Swansea SA1 5JN. Telephone 0800 012 1080
    E-mail: cscqueries@gwalia.com
  • You will have to make a separate claim for Council Tax Rebate. Please contact your local authority.
  • You may have to wait six weeks for your first Universal Credit payment. If you need a quicker payment ask your Jobcentre for an Advance Payment.